Bert W. Barclay is a highly experienced and respected family law and criminal defense attorney who has practiced in Central Florida for over 30 years.
A native to Central Florida, Mr. Barclay was the valedictorian of the first graduating class of Lake Howell High School—where along with excelling in academics, he also earned varsity letters in baseball (his passion) and football.
Mr. Barclay went on to obtain his undergraduate Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1981 from the University of Florida, where he also achieved acceptance into the nationally prestigious Phi Beta Kappa Academic Fraternity. He completed his legal education at Florida State University College of Law, earning his Juris Doctor Degree in 1984, and graduating with Honors.
After graduating law school and passing the Florida Bar Exam, Mr. Barclay began his legal career in 1984 at the Office of the Public Defender in the misdemeanor division for Orange & Osceola Counties. Due to his work ethic and drive for achieving justice for the accused, Mr. Barclay was promoted to the Felony Trial Division after being employed for just three months. Throughout Mr. Barclay’s service at Public Defender’s Office, he learned highly effective legal and people skills while representing underprivileged citizens in a wide range of criminal matters, ranging from misdemeanors and criminal traffic cases to first-degree murder charges.
In 1987, Mr. Barclay entered private practice, where he extended his legal talents in the area of family law, while also continuing his representation of those charged with various types of criminal offenses at the state level. Mr. Barclay also has unique and specialized experience in handling both Family and Criminal Law matters involving addictions of all types—most notably alcoholism and drug addictions.
As a partner at Weiss, Grunor, Barclay & Barnett, Mr. Barclay is sensitive to the emotional and financial tolls experienced by those going through a divorce or other family crisis, and pledges a thorough yet compassionate approach to achieving a resolution in the best interests of the client and minor children. Mr. Barclay prides himself in always being prepared to advocate in the client’s interest before any court.
Mr. Barclay’s areas of practice in family law include:
- Equitable Distribution of Property Agreements
- Child Support
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Parenting Plans/Timesharing Schedules
- Modification of child support orders and/or alimony
- Enforcement actions
- Collaborative law
- Relocation actions
- Paternity actions
As with his family cases, Mr. Barclay’s representation of those charged with criminal offenses involves a personalized and thorough work ethic “leaving no stone left unturned” to obtain the best results for his clients.
Mr. Barclay defends his clients in a wide range of criminal matters, including:
- All felony, misdemeanor, and traffic violations
- Drug Crimes—possession, sale/delivery, and trafficking in a controlled substance
- Driving Under the Influence and DUI Manslaughter
- Serious traffic offenses, leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage, death, or serious bodily injury, fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer, and vehicular homicide
- Driving with a suspended license
- Domestic violence and aggravated domestic violence
- Sex crimes
- Theft crimes
- Juvenile charges
- Fraud and white collar crimes
- Homicide, battery, and other violent criminal offenses
- Expungements and sealing
During Mr. Barclay’s extensive 30 year career in the legal field, he has obtained the highly coveted and respected *AV peer rating by Martindale- Hubbell, which represents the top rating a lawyer can achieve for “high ethical standards and professional ability.”
Mr. Barclay is also a member of the following Professional Associations:
- The Florida Bar 1984
- Orange County Bar Association
- Seminole County Bar Association
- Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Member
- Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Member ( past Vice-President)
- Central Florida Family Law American Inns of Court
Mr. Barclay was raised in a loving and closely-knit military family where he came into friendships and associations with people from a wide variety of cultures, races, and backgrounds. This foundation has created within him a personality of fighting for what is just and right with unique qualities of integrity, compassion, hard work, and tolerance for all.
Mr. Barclay has been married for 26 years to a Marriage and Family Therapist. He has two children who have called Central Florida home their entire lives. Mr. Barclay is also an active member of University Carillon Methodist Church, as well as other associations throughout the legal and public community.