Damon I. Weiss, born and raised in Maitland, Florida, is a highly experienced and respected family law and civil litigator, who has practiced in Central Florida for over 17 years.
Although a native to Central Florida, Mr. Weiss wanted to explore colder weather climates during his college years, and obtained his undergraduate degree from Michigan State University in 1994. He then stayed in Michigan and earned his Juris Doctor Degree from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1998. While in law school, Mr. Weiss clerked for the Michigan Department of Rehabilitation.
After graduating law school and moving back to Florida, Mr. Weiss extended his legal talents to a number of large law firms in the Central Florida area, where he practiced primarily in the areas of insurance defense and medical malpractice defense. Mr. Weiss also represented two municipalities while in private practice—the City of Maitland and the City of Edgewood.
In 2003, Mr. Weiss started his own law firm, and became the managing partner with Weiss, Grunor, Barclay & Barnett, where he practices primarily in the areas of family law and insurance litigation.
In his family law practice, Mr. Weiss is sympathetic to the emotional and financial tolls experienced by those going through a divorce, custody battle, or other family crisis. Mr. Weiss guarantees that his clients will receive a comprehensive and compassionate approach to achieving a resolution that is in their best interests and the best interests of any minor children. Mr. Weiss is always prepared to advocate for his client’s interests before any Florida court.
Mr. Weiss’ areas of practice in family law include:
- Equitable Distribution of Property Agreements
- Child Support
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Parenting Plans/Timesharing Schedules
- Modification of child support orders and/or alimony
- Enforcement actions
- Collaborative law
- Relocation actions
- Paternity actions
As with his family cases, Mr. Weiss is also fully prepared to litigate on behalf of his clients in the areas of insurance defense.
Mr. Weiss’ areas of practice in insurance defense include:
- Agent negligence or malpractice
- Automobile insurance (liability, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorists and PIP coverage)
- Bad faith and extra contractual exposure
- Comprehensive general liability and all commercial claims policies
- Director’s and officer’s liability coverage
- Employer’s liability coverage
- Environmental coverage
- Errors and omissions & all professional malpractice coverage
- Excess coverage
- Farm and dairy coverage
- First party property coverage
- Homeowner’s, condominium, and renter’s coverage
- Insurance company formation
- Insurance coverage
- Insurance defense
- Insurance fraud
- Insurance guarantee associations
- Interstate Commerce Commission and trucker’s coverage
- Life insurance
- Personal liability policies
- Products and completed operations coverage
- Regulatory matters
- Reinsurance, procurements, and interpretation
- Special multi-peril coverage
- Surplus lines
- Worker’s Compensation coverage
During Mr. Weiss’ 17-year career in the legal field, he is a member of the following Professional Associations:
- The Florida Bar, 1998
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Teen Court Volunteer
- Founding member of the first American Inns of Court
- Founding member of the first American Family Law Inn of Court
- Member of the Central Florida Collaborative Lawyers Association
- Member of the Florida Justice Association
Mr. Weiss and his family are lifelong residents of Central Florida and widely known in the community. He enjoys spending time with his wife, two children, and their dog, Bentley. Mr. Weiss also enjoys traveling extensively, and being an active member of the International Wine and Foods Society, the Boy Scouts of America, and an active member in his synagogue.