Samuel J. Weiss
Samuel J. Weiss is a highly experienced and respected family law attorney, who has practiced in Central Florida for over 40 years. Mr. Weiss had also been a member of the New York Bar for the past 30 years.
Mr. Weiss was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, where he became fluent in Hebrew and Yiddish, and was accepted to a special high school for the gifted. Mr. Weiss left Brooklyn temporarily, and went on to earn his undergraduate Bachelor’s of Arts Degree from the University of Oklahoma in 1967. Mr. Weiss later returned to Brooklyn to earn his Juris Doctor Degree from Brooklyn Law School in 1971.
After graduating law school and passing two bar exams within an impressive six month period, Mr. Weiss moved to Central Florida to begin his professional career. Mr. Weiss started his legal career in 1972 as an associate for Welbaum, Zook, Jones
& Williams, P.A. He then went on to become a partner in 1975 with Roth & Weiss, P.A.; and in 1986, he became a founding member of Weiss, Grunor, Weiss, P.A. The firm later became known as Weiss, Grunor, Barclay & Barnett.
Throughout Mr. Weiss’ extensive legal career, he developed a passion for helping people with their family law matters, and has always been sympathetic to the hardships people face when going through a divorce, family crisis, or custody battle.
Due to Mr. Weiss’ vast knowledge in the area of family law, he has been the preeminent leader in the subject matter; and attorneys from all over Florida look to him for guidance and support on all matters relating to family law. Furthermore, because of Mr. Weiss’ family law expertise, he founded two organizations, the Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida and the Family Law Inn of Court. The Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida is a practice area within family law where attorneys must be certified in the area in order to consider themselves Collaborative Law Attorneys and to practice collaborative law. You can learn more about the Collaborative Law process and whether it is right for you by visiting the link in our family law informational section.
As a founder of Weiss, Grunor, Barclay & Barnett, Mr. Weiss primarily focuses his practice in the areas of collaborative law and family law mediation. Throughout his practice, he has conducted over 5,000 family law mediations, and is considered one of the most experienced attorneys in this field by clients and other attorneys.
During Mr. Weiss’ extensive 43 year career in the legal field, he has earned the highly coveted and respected *AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Such an award represents the top rating a lawyer can earn for professional capability and high ethical standards. Mr. Weiss has also been considered a Florida Super Lawyer in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Mr. Weiss is also a member of the following Professional Associations and is a frequent lecturer at a variety of schools and organizations throughout Florida:
- The Florida Bar, 1972
- Past President and Founder of the Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida, Inc.
- Co-Founder of the First Central Florid Family Law Inns of Court
- Orange County Bar Association & Past Chairman of the Family Law Committee
- Co-Chairman of the Orange County Family Law Committee, 1991–2001
- Member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Past Committee Member of The Florida Bar’s Law School Liaison
- Past Co-Chair of the Orange County Fee Arbitration Committee
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator
- Designated Arbitrator of the American Arbitration Association
- University of Florida Levin School of Law’s Guest Lecturer
- Lecturer of the National Institute of Banking
- Lecturer of the Orange County Association of legal Secretaries
- Adjunct Professor at Valencia Community College & Daytona Beach Community College
In addition to Mr. Weiss’ professional endeavors, he is also heavily involved in giving back to his community in Central Florida. Mr. Weiss has been actively involved in the following organizations:
- Director & Office of the American Diabetes Association of Florida
- Past Vice President of the Jewish Community Center
- Member of the Rotary International
In Mr. Weiss’ spare time, he enjoys staying fit and active by biking with his wife and the men’s biking club. He typically bikes about 25 miles or more on weekends and mornings when he has the time. He also enjoys spending time with his family, yoga, and visiting his beach house in Daytona with his family.