Sylvia A. Grunor is a highly experienced and respected civil litigator, family law, and criminal defense attorney, who has practiced in Central Florida for over 25 years.
Since becoming a partner with Weiss, Grunor, Barclay, and Barnett in 2003, Mrs. Grunor has litigated thousands of cases and tried hundreds of those cases in front of juries all over Florida.
Due to Mrs. Grunor’s considerable experience in the litigation arena, she has the unique and specialized knowledge to achieve the best results for her clients.
Sylvia A. Grunor is a highly experienced and respected
civil litigator, family law, and criminal defense attorney,
who has practiced in Central Florida for over 25
years. Although she was born and raised in Birmingham,
Alabama, Mrs. Grunor and her family are long-time residents
of Sanford and widely known in the community.
Mrs. Grunor earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Central Florida, where she then went on to obtain her Juris Doctor Degree from Stetson University College of Law in 1990. While Mrs. Grunor was in law school, she vastly enjoyed litigation, and went on to earn the prestigious Victor O. Wehle Trial Award and the Cecil Baily Trial Award.
After graduating law school, Mrs. Grunor was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1990, and spent many years as a law clerk for Judge Warren H. Cobb of the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Daytona, Florida. After concluding her clerkship, Mrs. Grunor focused on gaining more experience in litigation, and went on to become a Prosecutor for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Court in and for Seminole County, Florida. Mrs. Grunor was subsequently admitted to the Middle District United States Court in 2005.
Since becoming a partner with Weiss, Grunor and Barnett in 2003, Mrs. Grunor has litigated thousands of cases and tried hundreds of those cases in front of juries all over Florida. She litigates in the areas of insurance defense, family law, and criminal defense. Mrs. Grunor has ample experience defending a wide array cases from car accidents, wrongful death, to coverage issues and commercial issues. Mrs. Grunor also litigates highly contentious and complex family law cases.
Due to Mrs. Grunor’s considerable experience in the litigation arena, she has the unique and specialized knowledge to achieve the best results for her clients. Mrs. Grunor has also been heavily involved in Seminole County, Brevard County, and Volusia County cases, including but not limited to the political aspects of the cases because everyone wants to get a lawyer that knows the judge not just the law.
Mrs. Grunor’s areas of practice in civil litigation/insurance defense include:
- Agent negligence or malpractice
- Automobile insurance (liability, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorists and PIP coverage)
- Bad faith and extra contractual exposure
- Comprehensive general liability and all commercial claims policies
- Director’s and officer’s liability coverage
- Employer’s liability coverage
- Environmental coverage
- Errors and omissions & all professional malpractice coverage
- Excess coverage
- Farm and dairy coverage
- First party property coverage
- Homeowner’s, condominium, and renter’s coverage
- Insurance company formation
- Insurance coverage
- Insurance defense
- Insurance fraud
- Insurance guarantee associations
- Interstate Commerce Commission and trucker’s coverage
- Life insurance
- Personal liability policies
- Products and completed operations coverage
- Regulatory matters
- Reinsurance, procurements, and interpretation
- Special multi-peril coverage
- Surplus lines
- Worker’s Compensation coverage
Mrs. Grunor’s areas of practice in family law include:
- Equitable Distribution of Property Agreements
- Child Support
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Parenting Plans/Timesharing Schedules
- Modification of child support orders and/or alimony
- Enforcement actions
- Collaborative law
- Relocation actions
- Paternity actions
Mrs. Grunor’s areas of practice in criminal defense include:
- All felony, misdemeanor, and traffic violations,
- Drug crimes—possession, sale/delivery, and trafficking in a controlled substance
- Driving Under the Influence and DUI Manslaughter
- Serious traffic offenses, leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage, death, or serious bodily injury, fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer, and vehicular homicide
- Driving with a suspended license
- Domestic violence and aggravated domestic violence
- Sex crimes
- Theft crimes
- Juvenile charges
- Fraud and white collar crimes
- Homicide, battery, and other violent criminal offenses
- Expungements and sealing
During Mrs. Grunor’s extensive 25-year career in the legal field, she is a member of the following Professional Associations:
- The Florida Bar 1990
- The Florida Inns of Court for Orange County
- The Orange County Bar Association
- Ms. Grunor also served on the Ninth Judicial Circuit Rules Committee.
In addition to her extensive legal background, Ms. Grunor earned the honor of becoming a member of Mensa in 1972. She is also the past Chairman of the Board of Trustees for First United Methodist Church of Sanford. Mrs. Grunor is a current member of Grace United Methodist Church of Lake Mary, and is a member of a variety of business and civil organizations.
Mrs. Grunor has been married for 38 years to her husband, Steve, who is a retired technician. She also has a loving daughter named Madison, who enjoys photography. Mrs. Grunor enjoys spending time with her family, and watching football, playing and watching golf, shopping, and helping her daughter develop her photography business. Although Mrs. Grunor had an active professional life prior to having Madison, her life really started with the birth of her child.